Search This Blog

Saturday 9 June 2012

Where It All Happens!

I thought you might be interested to see the space where I make many of the items on Hijab Sparkle.  This is where I spend long nights, often until 2 or 3 in the morning, making handmade jewellery and hijab pins. 

I use hundreds of small jewellery components called 'findings' which I source from a variety of locations, and use them to create all sorts of designs.  People often ask where I get my beads and components from.  I order them from the internet from local and international websites, and the beads come from as far away as Asia, North America, and Africa.  You can see in these photos some of the tools that I use, in particular the long nosed pliers which are used to close the tiny 'jump rings' which connect the different components.

As you can see I am a bit of a hoarder, collecting anything I can find that I can use in jewellery making.  I have a bit of a thing for storage boxes and organisers, which I always keep a lookout for.  Everything fits nicely in the shelves like a big jigsaw puzzle.  Move one thing out of its place, and...well...let's just say it is not the best place to stand next to if there is an earthquake! hehe.

My 'studio' as I like to call it, is just a simple computer desk with a book case placed on top of  it.  Not very fancy, but it does the job!  Many of the storage boxes and containers you see I found in second hand shops around Wellington.  I also find the most beautiful vintage beads and findings which I incorporate into my designs from time to time.  I'm sure the second hand shop owners are curious about this strange Muslim lady who comes in once a week to gaze for hours at the jewellery diaplay, and leaves with bags of broken jewellery and armfuls of organiser boxes!!

If you look carefully you can see some really beautiful filigree 'drops' on the desk.  These are some new sitck pin designs I am working on in time for Ramadan, and I will show you a close up in the next post.  The finished designs will be posted very soon, so make sure you subscribe to my blog and facebook page so that you don't miss them.

Well that's all for now, I'm off to make some more sparklies!
Hope you are having a day full of sparkles :)
Wassalam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...